One of the biggest barriers we’ve found in this industry is a lack of accessible educational resources. For people who are new to the business of BAS, it’s a real challenge trying to string together information.
Of course, lots of people in the industry are doing fantastic work to change this. Phil Zito’s Building Automation Monthly and Ken Sinclair’s Automated Buildings are two key resources.
But technical information, gathered in one central place, written in super simple, plain ol’ English? Everything’s scattered, and very little is written in layman terms.
So, if you’re new to the industry, or just have a burning question about this whole world of BACnet, we want to answer it. You’ll find tons of questions that either we’ve asked or have heard other people wonder about, right here.
Did we miss anything? Feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll happily add to the list.
- What is BACnet?
- What are BACnet Ethernet, IP, and MS/TP?
- What is KNX?
- What is Modbus?
- What is LonWorks?
Pros and cons
- Which is ‘better’? BACnet, LonWorks, Modbus, or KNX?
- Why use the BACnet protocol?
- Why does BACnet matter for building owners?
- The business case for BACnet/IP
- How will IoT disrupt BACnet and the buildings of today?
- What is BACnet Secure Connect?
- Q&A with Bernhard Isler and David Fisher, on BACnet Secure Connect
- What is a BACnet Broadcast Management Device (BBMD)?
- What is a BACnet Who-Is/I-Am, and why do we have it?
- What is a BACnet router and gateway?
- Project Haystack and tagging explained
- What does a BACnet topology look like?
- What is BACnet Web Services?
- What’s the future of BACnet?